More construction photos


While I was snapping these photos a timid kid, in his late teens probably, greeted me and asked me whether I worked for a newspaper. I gathered that he was one of or the only “guard” on site, since there wasn’t much building going on, and wanted to know what I was up to. I told him I was a tourist and he immediately backed off for me to continue shooting.


These are the rods which are supposed to save people when an earthquake hits. Of course, nothing will happen to their homes. I mean, they’re made of iron. How can you go wrong?


Above is the fate of a Soviet panel apartment building, known as the "Writer’s Building" on Pushkin Street, probably a few decades old judging by its condition. But it’s in pretty good shape compared to other newer buildings located away from the city’s center.

This “Elite Group” building at the bottom of Deryan Street, running almost parallel to the Northern Boulevard, was finished several months ago, complete with private security guards and an underground parking garage.

I stare at this scene every day and I am always amazed at how the back of that crane does not crash into that old building just a few inches beside it. One false move and that Stalin-era (or older) structure is coming down. Perhaps that is the intent for positioning the crane so close....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nowadays you see a lot of TV ads regarding this "elitar" buildings and they allways mention "the Russian investor". Special deal by the Russian investor, another project by the Russian investor. I wonder who this Russian is that is soo interested in Armenian investments.

Hamlet
Maybe they admire that "Russian investor" or he is the designer of that "elitar" buildings.

Popular Posts